Still suffering from the cold. Elected to stay home from work and take things easy — also wanted to keep a bit of an eye on TheWife, who was still moving around like a gimp in the morning.
Since I had the time, I decided to start a project that I’ve been kicking around in the back of my head for some time: porting Feed On Feeds to Perl. I’ve been using Feed On Feeds for some time; it was the first aggregator that I found that fit my particular set of needs.
One reason for the port was to make it easier for me to add some features that I’ve been wanting (per-feed update intervals and the ability to save items in a ‘ticked’ state are at the top of the list). Another reason was to play around with the ultra-spiffy Class::DBI and SQLite; I’m going to be using them for a project at work, which means this qualifies as “research”. (I’m also thinking about ways to work those two topics into this summer’s BioPerl class, so I could tell myself that this was part of the prep work for that too…)
There’s still quite a bit of work to do before I would consider releasing anything, but if I implement importing of the OPML that’s exported by Feed On Feeds, I could be eating my own dogfood here pretty quickly.